- This event has passed.
October 8, 2016 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Come out to the Festival grounds and watch the berries being harvested, learn about the history of cranberry farming on Nantucket, participate in the family activities or just kick back and enjoy the music and the spectacular autumn scenery of one of the most unique and beautiful places on our Island. Don’t forget to bring home a pound, or two, of Nantucket Cranberries for the Holidays!
**Please note that the Festival is held rain or shine – there is no rain date.**
Cranberry Farming on Nantucket
The Nantucket Conservation Foundation owns and operates the last two remaining commercial cranberry bogs on the island. Cranberries have been grown on Nantucket since 1857 and were an important part of the Island’s economy until just prior to World War II. Visitors, summer residents, and even long time islanders are often surprised when they learn that the Foundation’s Milestone Bog is one of the oldest, continually operated farms on the Island. There are currently 195 acres under cultivation at the Milestone Bog with an additional 37 acres in production at the Windswept Bog on the Polpis Road. The Windswept Bog is also notable because of its status as one of the few certified organic cranberry bogs in the country. Together, the Foundation’s cranberry bogs produce nearly 2 million pounds of cranberries a year!
We’re Going Organic!
Come out to the 2016 Festival and help us celebrate the news that we are now using only organic farming methods to grow our cranberries! Only organic berries and products using our organic berries will be featured this year. We will have information on-hand describing the conversion process, differences between traditional farming vs. organic farming techniques and much more.
- Cranberry harvesting – several bogs near the Festival grounds will be harvested throughout the day
- Live music provided by Four Easy Payments
- Kid’s Events – sack races, face painting, tug of wars and much more
- Hay rides
- Grand Prize Raffle – win a 2017 Over Sand Vehicle permit, NCF fleece vest and Festival hat – a $200 value!
- Barnaby the Bear will be on hand to meet kids and sign copies of his book Barnaby & Wood Lily
- Berry Bouncing Machine demonstration
- Antique tractor displays
- Petting zoo with goats, ducks and other farm animals
- B-ACK YARD BBQ – Back by popular demand, Nantucket’s own Back Yard BBQ will be at the Festival this year serving up their famous pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ chicken, brisket and other delights! After the Festival, be sure to visit their restaurant on Straight Wharf for their complete menu of barbecued deliciousness.
- Sweet Inspirations – Chocolate covered cranberries and other confectionery delights in the main tent.
- Wicked Island Bakery – Freshly made cranberry cookies, cranberry pecan quickbread, coffee and other cranberry goodies.
- ACK Fresh – Freshly-pressed, raw, organic juices made from local fruits, vegetables and Nantucket Cranberries.
- Catering by Laura – Hot Dogs, home-made clam chowda, cookies and drinks. And , of course……
- CRANBERRIES! – Fresh from the bogs! Both Genuine Nantucket Cranberries and Windswept organic cranberries will be available.