Cheesemaking & Affinage: Boston Blue Cheese
September 10 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm$150
If you love Blue Cheese, then this class is for you: in a small setting, you will make your own Boston Blue Cheese over an evening, and leave it to mature in the shop’s ageing environment. After ageing, you will then be able to take it home, and eat it!
This class will be highly involved, as you will be making the blue cheese with your own hands. It is therefore limited to only 6 participants.
The initial 5 hour session will be the main body of work, where we will transform the milk, set and make the cheese. The following day we will be piercing the cheese, and placing in the ageing environment, until the blue mould develops. We will then wrap the cheese in aluminum foil, and allow it to further develop for a 2 month period.
In this course you will:
• Learn how to transform milk into curds and process the curds for pressing
• Lightly press the curds into a form
• Pierce the form and wrap the cheese for affinage,
• Have complete and ongoing access to our knowledge in the shop to help your future cheesemaking
• Understand the entire process from a logistical, practical, biochemical and microbial view point, and how each step contributes to making our cheese. You will be equipped for the future to repeat the making, and understand any changes that you may make and how they may affect the cheese.
Blue Cheese Plan:
Sunday. 5 pm til complete: prepare milk with microbes, transform into curd; cut curd, drain, mill, salt, press curd into form, lightly, then unrwap, flip and press lightly overnight.
Monday. Remove cheese from press, unwrap and allow to air dry for 24h+.
Weds. Salt cheese and place
Following Sat/Sun. Pierce cheese form, move to ageing environment.
Approx 1.5 weeks later. Wrap your Blue cheese in aluminum foil.
Early November. Your aged Blue Cheese is ready to go home!
Please note, dates are set, but times may vary. Presence on Sunday is required. The tasks during the following are optional though highly encouraged.
Class Cancelation:The classes requires a minimum of 3 attendees. Refunds will be provided if this is not met. If a participant cancels attendance 1 week before start of class the full cost of ticket will be refunded, subsequent to that date, 50% of ticket price will be refunded.
If you have any questions on this event, please contact Boston Cheese Cellar to discuss!